Friday, October 12, 2007

Schedule change

My new job starts in a little over a week and in a little over a week my whole life (I'm being over dramatic) is going to change.

For the past seven months I have been in transition mode. I would be at home on the weekends, I pack, I fly to DC for the week, I pack, and I fly home for the weekends. I started traveling for work as a necessity. There wasnt much of a calling for my field down in Virginia Beach.

Traveling for work has a few benefits:

1. Free access to all the fruit I could want. I get fresh cut fruit for breakfast and my chose of bananas, apples, pears and oranges. All provided by my hotel.

2. Me time. At night I have no one to report to. If I want to work out for two hours I can. If I want to go shopping I can. If I want to spend the entire night in my bed I can.

3. No cleaning. You dont have to make your bed or change your sheets!!!

4. Per Diem....two of my favorite words. My job paid me MORE money because I was traveling for food. I could spend as much or as little on dinner as I wanted and I was getting paid for it.

5. Access to the hotel gym. Even though I stopped working out in the morning I COULD have used the hotel gym. That means not having to get up, get in the car and drive to the gym!

Traveling for work has a few draw-backs:

1. Never at home. I miss my things. I miss my friends. I miss the ability to lay on the couch and watch tv with my roommate.

2. Alot of your time is spent traveling. I used to spend at least 2 hours a week packing and over 6 hours a week in airports and air planes. When I was driving I would spend up to 8 hours in my car during the week.

3. No cooking. I had access to a fridge and microwave. That only gets you so far in the cooking world.

4. Too much Me time. There were days were I really missed having someone to go home to....anyone.

Since all this traveling is going away in the next week. The things I am most looking forward too are being at home, seeing my friends during the week, and cooking!!! It's going to be interesting to see how I will work the gym into my schedule now. I will need to figure out if I can get back into my morning routine or if I'll go to the gym at night.

All I know is I need to get motivated to lose 10lbs before 2008!!!!

1 comment:

Cory said...

I can really see how that would get boring after a while. Hope you really like your new job.