Wednesday, October 03, 2007

National Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Fact:
It is estimated that over 178,000 women in the US will be found to have invasive breast cancer in 2007.

Fact:
Women over the age of 40 should get a mammogram once a year.

Fact:
Over 2 million women in the United States are living with a breast cancer diagnosis.

Fact:
By the age of 20, women should be giving themselves breast exams at least once a month in addition to seeing their gynecologists on a regular basis.

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and I wanted to do my best to share some information for anyone who reads this blog. I do not have breast cancer and neither does anyone in my immediate family, but I feel as if I have been touched by it. This time last year I had a scare where my doctor found a lump. It was the scariest couple of days in my life at the time. Luckily for me it was a false scare but there isnt a day that goes by that I dont feel the pain that these 2.3million women but be dealing with.

I want to encourage everyone to perform their monthly self breast exams. I will be honest and tell you that I am not always good at doing these. Mainly because it scares the hell out of me but I know how important they can be. I just had my doctor perform a breast exam and I am all clear for now.

My heart goes out to all the women living with this disease. There is hope and I truly believe that one day we will find a cure. To all the women with this diagnosis I want you to know you are an inspiration to me.

1 comment:

~~Midnight Raider~~ said...

Thanks for the reminder!